PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What is a supermom?

I used to think that a supermom had a really clean and organized house, cooked dinner every night, woke up and fixed her hair and makeup, didn't wear sweatpants, always had cute projects or fun activities for kids, was hardly ever mad at her husband for stupid stuff, and oh, she also went to work every day.  I really wanted to describe myself that way, but I never could.  I've come to accept that I probably will never describe myself that way either.  I might be able to use some of those descriptors at some times, but I doubt that they will ever be used all at the same time (at least until my kids move out-I'm guessing that is >18 years away).  When I first became a mom, I was semi-okay with the fact that I didn't meet this definition of supermom because I was a student (not quite full-time) trying to become a dietitian and working 70% time in a stressful job. Needless to say, I couldn't do everything and I certainly gave up on makeup:)   


After knew that I was well on my way to becoming a dietitian, I decided that I was going to really strive to be a "supermom."  Then, we decided to have a second child and I was more committed to being a supermom after I finished my internship.  I had all kinds of plans for when I passed the RD exam, when I got a job, after I had the baby, etc.  After each of these things has happened, I've had a hard time with the fact that I still can't do all the supermom things.  I guess it's taken a couple months for me to wake up and realize that I'm being ridiculous.  These things aren't really important.  All the things that make you a REAL supermom (at least the kind I really care about), I'm already doing.  I'm committed to making sure that my kids have the healthiest start at life.  I'm trying to make sure that they have an excellent education and have the opportunity to try activities they enjoy.  So, I breastfeed, I use cloth diapers, I grow food, we make baby food, we read, we discipline, we affirm and nurture their self-esteem, and we love on our kids as much as possible.  I do this because I believe that it will ultimately make them responsible, compassionate, intelligent, hard-working, and successful adults.  I'm sure this is what I've always believed the "real" job description of a supermom actually is.  Sometimes, I get easily distracted by the bling on perfect-looking facades. 

Having said all that, I all still trying to figure out exactly how I can be a supermom most of the time!  I am definitely not perfect.  I get frustrated with my two year-old more often than I want to and I don't do several things often enough (like go to church, let things roll off me, exercise, etc).  Instead of being so hard on myself for not including those, I'm going to try to remember how proud I am of myself for all the supermom activities I already do.  Then, instead of getting upset, I will try to figure out how to include important stuff that I'm not already doing into my life. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile and Leave a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers