PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Adventures in Making Baby Food

Some of the aforementioned avocados.  It really isn't hard to make your own baby food.  I put it in a mini food processor, pureed it, and put it in ice cube trays to freeze. Don't worry, I didn't let the baby near that giant knife.

Honestly, the avocado probably doesn't need to go in the processor, but I didn't want them to go to waste so I had to freeze them.  

Yum...carrots!  First, I steamed them and then tried to puree them.  The problem with the carrots was that I tried to put too many in there and ended up with huge chunks of baby carrots.  It would be like finding pieces of fingers in your applesauce or something.  I tried to fish them all out before putting them in the freezer, but I noticed today I didn't quite get them all.  Oops!  These were definitely more difficult to puree than avocados.  I need to improve my skills for next time.  I'm thinking about doing some green beans tomorrow and I'll be sure to 1) steam them with less water; 2) use the leftover water to make the food puree smoother; 3) use fewer veggies in the processor.

If you have tips for making great baby food, please comment!  



 

2 comments:

  1. I have a tip...forget pureeing the food, and give her yummy finger foods instead :) I skip the puree, spoon-fed thing for the most part. A ripe avocado can be given in small chunks, most veggies and fruits can be lightly steamed and given in chunks too...in fact, most soft table food is A-OK if your baby is interested in food. Makes mama's life much easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Jen wrote above, if you wait until the avocado is ripe enough, you shouldn't need to puree it, it will be soft enough for her to eat. Also, this exact thing happened to me with carrots when I tried to puree them after steaming. They were too chunky and Roan hated them. Roan loves carrots but not when they are chunky, I am going to stick with the organic baby food for those but I'm trying out other things that can be easily mashed or pureed. Roan is getting better at eating stuff though so hopefully it won't be much longer until he is eating more table food and stuff we eat, just cut up into tiny chunks. He also loves yo baby organic yogurt which is nice because I don't have to do anything with it, just feed it to him.

    ReplyDelete

Make Me Smile and Leave a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers