PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Adventures of the Decorating Kind

My recent fascination with homemade/handmade goods has me reminiscing about the process of decorating Baby Adelaide's room.  I was totally overwhelmed at first.  I had a very clear picture of what I wanted right from the beginning.  Only that became an near impossible search for bedding because I wanted a room decorated with Orangutans!
(quick aside-I love orangutans-before my baby took over my desktop background, it had been orangutan babies for years)

I'm not sure if you've recently looked for baby bedding, but there are monkeys galore, but no orangutans. :(  After weeks of internet searching, I was discouraged and started looking for another bedding theme that I would be happy with, but nothing struck me.  Then, I realized that I definitely didn't have to settle for something that I wouldn't like, I could make it myself. 

When I say "I would make it myself", what I mean is that I would sucker my cousin Amy into helping me make it (when I say "help me" that means "Amy will make it").

Amy makes all kinds of things and I knew she'd be willing and able to help make Baby's room perfect!  So, I found some pictures of things that I liked and we designed the quilt one weekend at the lake.  I bought the fabric, delivered it to her, and waited for her to make some magic.  Boy, did she make some magic!  She created the most beautiful, perfect quilt and curtains. 
Here is Adelaide, Amy, and her quilt!

Amy spent one weekend here finishing up the quilt, making the curtains, and she even decided to cover the Craiglist rocker's cushions with some great fabric we found.  We had a great time staying up one night until 4am putting the finishing touches on our projects. 
Below is a picture of the covered cushions and curtains in the background.
Not only did I have a great time with my cousin making something meaningful for my daughter, I got a decor I loved, and I saved a bunch of money.  After it was all said and done, I spent about $60 for all the fabric.  I think that is a super bargain, considering what the cost of bedding is! 
Here is where this post turns into Ode to Amy.  She's a great cousin and friend and I can't thank her enough for turning the room into something that I totally love and I think Adelaide will too.  Amy is a super talented, caring, creative, best roommate you could want, awesome lady.  So, thanks Am, you're the best!
 
On that note, I want to say that I have a lot of cool people in my family and I've decided that I'll feature one every few weeks.  In addition to showcasing products and strategies that work for our family, I want to use my blog to illustrate my values and the things that I hope to pass on to my children.  One of those things is a connection to family and relationships.  So, stayed tuned to meet other cool people in my family and learn why I love them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile and Leave a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers