PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Public Service Announcement About Compliments

My husband, God love him, has given some very unusual compliments lately and I'd like to take this opportunity to let other husbands know that sometimes, you really need to think a thought all the way through before it comes out of your mouth. 

Don't get me wrong, I know my husband means well and I appreciate the sentiment, but I would prefer them phrased a little differently. 

For example, this morning I brought down two bottles of freshly pumped milk and my husband said, "Wow, that's a lot, you're like a factory."  Then, I said, "ummm, did that sound like a good compliment in your head?"  I quickly explained that I never want to be compared to a factory, even if it's in a good way.

Then later, he was changing our daughter's diaper and said, "I love your cute little butt, even if it is like Mommy's..."  What?  Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of junk in my trunk.  Sometimes, I have a hard time keeping my pants up, but any mention of my butt should be strictly positive. 

Maybe I'm a little sensitive because I had a baby 12 weeks ago, but I think that my advice is pretty solid about complimenting women.  Please husbands, for your sake, for your wife's sake, say the whole compliment in your head before letting it escape.  Here are a couple other general rules, 1) avoid comparisions to anything really large, stinky, or mechanical; 2) Never, never, never make a comparison to old girlfriends or your mom (especially not your mom); and finally, 3) any reference to a body part should always and only be positive (especially if your wife has recently delivered your child).

The take home message here is that women love compliments, but do your best to make them count for you and not against you:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile and Leave a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers